As Haiti struggles to retrieve from the devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake that deed implicit the weekend, sidesplitting immoderate 1,300 people, the UN is warning that galore radical are apt to beryllium affected by Tropical Depression Grace, a tempest which is expected to bring torrential rain, flooding and mudslides betwixt Monday and Tuesday.
On Monday, the UN migration agency, IOM, declared that it is focusing connected uncovering harmless buildings and structure for the thousands of radical displaced by the earthquake, aft much than 13,600 homes were destroyed oregon severely damaged.
In summation to the dormant and wounded, archetypal reports bespeak much than 700 collapsed buildings, including hospitals and schools, much than 13,000 homes destroyed, and important harm to roads.
"These numbers volition turn arsenic information postulation progresses”, said Federica Cecchet, IOM's Deputy Chief of Mission successful Haiti. “One of the main priorities successful the coming weeks volition beryllium the due absorption of exigency shelters and humanitarian enactment for thousands of radical who are displaced".
Three days aft the quake, humanitarian teams person not yet reached galore areas, particularly successful the section of Nippes, with proscription hampered by demolition and harm to roads and bridges.
On Sunday, Pierre Honnorat, the caput of the World Food Programme successful Haiti, explained successful a Tweet that, with the roadworthy chopped disconnected betwixt Les Cayes and Jérémie, it is hard to get exigency nutrient supplies to those who request them.
WFP Haiti Director Pierre Honnorat speaks with unit astatine the Sainte Antoine infirmary successful Jeremie, Haiti, 1 time aft the 7.2 magnitude earthquake deed the state connected August 14, 2021.
Acute humanitarian needs
“Health centres, schools, bridges and different indispensable facilities and infrastructure connected which children and families beryllium person besides been impacted – successful immoderate cases, irreparably”, said Henrietta Fore, the caput of the UN children’s agency, UNICEF, connected Sunday.
“The humanitarian needs successful affected areas are acute, arsenic indispensable services person been disrupted. Many radical urgently request wellness attraction and cleanable water. Those who are displaced request shelter. Children who person been separated from their families amidst the chaos request protection.”
According to the UN assistance coordinating office, OCHA, section hospitals are already overwhelmed with wounded people, particularly successful Les Cayes and Jérémie; assistance is being provided by the Red Cross and hospitals successful unaffected areas.
The UN effect to the Haiti earthquake
- On Sunday, Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths allocated US$8 cardinal from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund to enactment the humanitarian response. The allocation volition supply essentials specified arsenic wellness care, cleanable water, exigency structure and sanitation for radical affected by the disaster.
- Access to the confederate peninsula – wherever the earthquake deed – is challenging owed to gangs controlling movements. Local authorities are negotiating access, and an archetypal convoy of six vehicles with unit from UN agencies and the Government travelled to the affected country connected Sunday. Further convoys carrying supplies volition question today.
- The wellness strategy successful affected areas is being overwhelmed, arsenic wellness workers are assisting the injured portion besides contending with the COVID-19 pandemic. The fig of COVID-19 patients is expected to summation successful the coming days and weeks.
- While assessments are inactive successful their aboriginal stages, much than 13,000 homes person been destroyed and much than 13,000 person sustained damages. These figures are apt to summation importantly successful the coming hours.
- As portion of the contiguous humanitarian response, UN Humanitarian Air Service flights are supporting the transportation of supplies and aesculapian staff. Mobilization of nationalist and planetary partners for the coordination of the exigency effect is successful progress, including authorities deployment of volunteers for accelerated effect teams to behaviour search-and-rescue activities and wide collapsed buildings and homes.
- The astir urgent humanitarian needs are expected to beryllium linked to the proviso of aesculapian assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene.
- The exigency wellness effect is already nether way, including the installation of tents astatine the OFATMA Hospital successful Les Cayes. UNICEF volition nonstop 3 wellness exigency kits to the 2 hospitals successful Les Cayes and 1 successful Jeremie, covering astir 30,000 people.